The Logistics Specialist serves as a point of contact between the Warehouse and carriers/brokers and is responsible for the day-to-day execution of domestic and international logistics’ operational tasks, including but not limited coordination of domestic and international shipments to/from the Warehouse and completion of related documentation in accordance with Federal regulations, company policy and international shipping regulations and laws, if applicable.
• Coordinate with assigned carriers/brokers on all inbound and outbound domestic and international shipments to/from the Warehouse:
Arrange pick-up or drop-off times.
Check to make sure Purchase Orders (POs) are open, correct and the PO arrival dates (if applicable) is scheduled out at least 5 days from due date.
Ensure shipment is in accordance with scheduling and planning requirements.
• Complete documentation (see below) in accordance with appropriate domestic and international shipping regulations and laws and company policy, including but not limited
Freight Bill of Lading (BOL),
Airway Bill (AWB),
Shipper Export Declaration (SED),
Commercial Invoices (Document used in foreign trade),
ICT numbers (Import/Export Product Code Number accepted globally), and
Certificates of Origin.
• Track inbound/outbound shipments (see below) using internal Warehouse Management System (WMS) and external carrier websites starting from point of origin pick-up to
LCL Freight (Less than Container loads)
TL (Truck Load)
LTL loads (Less than Truck loads)
SubCon Shipments (Sub-Contracted shipments)
• Communicate status of domestic and international inbound/outbound shipments to Customer Service, Sales and other management as necessary. Research and answer
• Ensure all carrier shipping documentation is accurate and complete and provides all pertinent information. Distribute documentation as necessary to internal customers –
Customer Service and Sales. Forward all necessary paperwork to carriers/brokers once shipments are picked up from Warehouse.
• Work with Purchasing and the Warehouse to resolve any discrepancies with shipments through:
Research of inbound appointments
Review of Receiving Discrepancy Reports (RDR)
Purchase Order reconciliation
Count Checks/Cycle Counts in the Warehouse
Research Putaway/Picking & Shipping transactions
Handle RTV (Return to Vendor)
• Participate as requested with the investigation, planning and implementation of future strategic and relevant transportation methods via 3rd party logistics carrier providers,
• Review, code and submit invoices to Corporate Accounts Payable Department.
• Assist with the filing and resolution of freight shipment claims.
• Obtain and maintain all required Contractor/Vendor Certificates of Liability Insurance, Hold Harmless Agreements and W9 per company compliance standards.
• Assist Regional Operations Director with other projects or duties as assigned.
• 5+ years related domestic and international shipping and customer service experience.
• Familiarity with US customs and international documentation (SED, Commercial Invoice, BOL/AWB/ICT).
• Previous experience working with Customs brokers, forwarders and international partners. Caribbean shipping experience preferred.
• Must be able to speak, read and write English/Spanish.
• Proficient using Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) – High Jump or PeopleSoft.
• High School diploma or GED required. College degree in Logistics, Transportation or Supply Chain Management preferred.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and professional interactive skills are necessary to perform at a high degree of proficiency. Ability to read, analyze
and interpret business documentation, periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or government regulations Ability to effectively present information and respond
to questions from customers, carriers, brokers, management and inter-department staff. Capable of working with internal staff from other departments in a proactive and
• Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple tasks/deadlines autonomously and shift priorities as necessary. Uses time effectively and able to work independently.
• Customer Service – Respond promptly to requests for service and assistance as needed. Follow up as needed.
• Detail Oriented – Attention to details and accuracy.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Expertise in gathering and analyzing information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions.
• Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Makes timely decisions.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Follows through on commitments.
• Ability to understand and execute all relevant policies and procedures in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
• Proficient use of MS Windows and Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and WMS – High Jump or PeopleSoft.
Here are just some of the benefits you will enjoy in this role:
Health, dental and vision insurance
401(k) with company match
Short and long term disability insurance
Flexible dependent and health spending accounts
Paid time off – vacation, sick and personal days
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs.
While this position will primarily work in an office environment, travel, including overnight (approx. 30 %) may be required to attend company events, staff meetings, training sessions, customer meetings and/or industry or vendor trade shows.
May be required to utilize personal vehicle for business travel that may result in long periods of sitting. Must maintain a valid driver license with a driving record that meets Company minimum standards and maintain current automobile insurance coverage as set forth by Sysco.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Overtime work may be required depending on business needs.
NOTICE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the environment and level of work being performed by this job. This job overview in no way states or implies that the duties and responsibilities listed are the only tasks to be performed by the associate in this job. The associate will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description supersedes prior job descriptions. When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and is subject to changes of business necessity.