Under the guidance and direction of the R&D / Laboratories Manager, the R&D Chemist develops new product formulations and batch processes, and modifies existing ones, as required to meet business needs. Works closely with Bulk Manufacturing Compounding to optimize manufacturing processes and resolve manufacturing problems.
• Develop new or modified product formulations and batch processes.
• Write batch cards for new or modified product formulations.
• Provide ingredient lists and Safety Data Sheets for new or modified product formulations.
• Evaluate samples from external manufacturers for stability and performance.
• Review stability results data and recommends formula or processing changes to R&D / Laboratories Manager.
• Provide product formulas to Planning for set-up of Bills of Material. Review Bills of Material for accuracy.
• Arrange for necessary efficacy and safety testing to be run on new product formulations.
• Perform additional laboratory-related duties as assigned by the R&D / Laboratories Manager.
• Assist Bulk Manufacturing Compounding with batch adjustments and with troubleshooting, when compounding issues occur.
• Deal with chemical suppliers to find alternate supplies of existing chemicals and new chemicals for new product formulations.
• Ensure compliance on GMP’s related to personal hygiene and handling of materials and equipment in order to maintain hygiene standards; safety guidelines and general housekeeping standards.
• Communicate effectively with co-workers and department supervision.
• Provide & maintain a safe working environment.
• Regularly interact and communicate with various internal departments to provide vital information that may be necessary to meet business demands.
• Bachelor Degree in Chemistry or related Science.
• 1-3 years of related laboratory experience preferred.
• Excellent analytical and mathematical skills to analyze all test data and draw logical conclusions.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and professional interactive skills are necessary to perform at a high degree of proficiency. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business forms and reports. Ability to effectively coach, present information
and respond to questions from management, inter-department staff and suppliers. Capable of working with internal associates from other departments in a proactive and constructive manner.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple initiatives/deadlines autonomously and shift priorities as necessary. Able to manage large complex projects. Uses time effectively.
• Customer Service – Responds promptly to requests for service and assistance as needed. Follows up as needed.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions.
• Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Makes timely decisions.
• Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Follows through on commitments.
• Detail Oriented – Attention to details and accuracy.
• Ability to understand and execute all relevant policies and procedures in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
• Proficient use of MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Ability to learn and apply Guest Packaging/Supply technology software and programs.
“PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT”
The physical, mental, and environmental conditions in which the work is performed. The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and climb
or balance. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and lift up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• While this position will primarily work in a manufacturing environment, this position may require travel to attend company events, staff meetings, training sessions & vendor fairs.
• May be required to utilize personal vehicle for business travel that may result in long periods of sitting.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• This position may require evening and weekend work depending on business needs.
• This position is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, wet and/or humid conditions, elevated ambient temperature, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.
Guest Supply is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is committed to hiring a diverse workforce (M/F/Disabled/Veteran)