This position will lead the implementation of a prevention-focused health, safety and environmental (HSE) and security program. The position will establish, execute and deliver Guest Supply specific strategy that supports Sysco’s overall HSE objectives, including security and crisis preparedness objectives.
• In cooperation with Guest Supply management, develop HSE strategy in support of Corporate HSE and Security strategic goals.
• Develop effective HSE plans designed to meet operational goals to reduce injuries, accidents and incidents
• Effectively communicate HSE strategy and objectives with Senior Leadership
• Support site management in the implementation of HSE plans
• Design and implement effective metrics to track progress, proactively identify areas of concern and drive accountability
• Develop and implement training programs to transfer HSE knowledge and core competencies to management and associates
• Develop and implement audits to track and identify gaps in local compliance with Sysco’s (HSE) policies and procedures
• Support creation of HSE goals for the site management and appropriate activity-based goals for the leadership team, functional managers, and front-line supervisors to drive HSE culture, compliance and
• Lead a company-wide system to identify and evaluate hazards (risks), and implement effective controls (corrective solutions)
• Lead incident investigation process, including cause analysis and identification of corrective action plans
• Provide supervisor and management training on root cause analysis
• Interface with regulatory bodies (OSHA, DOT, EPA, and State/Local Regulators)
• Facilitate the completion of a company-wide annual HSE training plan
• Develop effective interdepartmental relationships
• Assist facilities management team in ensuring required regulatory permits are acquired, required reports are submitted to regulatory agencies and any site permit conditions (e.g. recordkeeping, PSM, storm
water, special waste, etc.) are met
• Achieve annual targets for incident frequency, severity and cost reductions
• Display strong problem solving, organizational and analytical skills
• Demonstrate professional maturity and ability to act as a change leader
• Create and facilitate HSE engagement through HSE teams and committees needed to accomplish the established targets and annual objectives
• Drive and promote zero incident HSE culture throughout the company
• Support execution of Sysco’s Emergency Preparedness Plan procedures and policies
• Monitor, interpret and communicate regulatory changes to Guest Supply management
• Assist with the development and presentation of Corporate and site-specific training programs as needed
• Implement early return to work programs
• Perform management functions of staff selection, development, discipline, performance reviews and terminations
• Interpret, train on and consistently enforce Company policies and procedures
• Maintain associate relations through regular department meetings, maintains on-going interaction and communication, monitors associate morale, and responds to and implements ideas to improve associate
engagement and enablement
• Bachelor degree in a related field strongly preferred.
• Has attained or is working toward certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP).
• Other pertinent safety certification or designations are desirable as well.
• 5 years related HSE experience with at least 3 years’ supervisory experience.
• Experience in warehouse, transportation, production or industrial environment preferred.
• Strong background in safety with a proven record of results.
• The ability to drive a strong safety philosophy and implement constructive behavior changes in transportation safety.
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and professional interactive skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures
and government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, associates and
external customers/stakeholders. Capable of working with peers and associates from other departments in a proactive and constructive manner. Ability to successfully engage and lead individual and team
discussions and meetings.
• Leadership - Ability to mentor and develop individuals and teams. Able to engage and lead team discussions and meetings. Understands team dynamics and works well within a team structure. Collaborative
management style. Delegates responsibilities effectively.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently, under minimal supervision, and as a team member.
• Demonstrated attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness. Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Problem Solving – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions and uses reason even when dealing with difficult or emotional
topics. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality and
safety. Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work.
• Planning/Organizing/Adaptability – Reacts well under pressure and is able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. Prioritizes and plans work activities using time efficiently. Able to deal with frequent
change, interruptions or unexpected delays. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
• Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment. Makes timely decisions.
• Maintains high level of confidentiality, discretion and professionalism at all times.
• Ability to apply all relevant policies in a consistent, timely and objective manner.
• Proficient in MS Windows and Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access. Ability to learn and apply company technology software and programs.