The Industrial Designer is responsible for the creation of product design of personal care primary packaging for the hospitality and retail industries from concept ideation through the establishment of product standards for production.
• Design and engineer primary packaging including but not limited to bottles, soaps & accessory packages; and room accessory items such as ice bucket, waste basket, tissue box cover, tray and soap dish, and room tray, etc.
• Evaluate design ideas based on factors such as appealing appearance, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of production, market characteristics, and client specifications.
• Support all tactical activities in product development including:
Conceptualization and creation of drawings and 3D product designs;
Pre-Engineering - create industrial design control drawings and specifications;
Establishment of production quality standards; and
Source and oversee international manufacturing facilities during design approval phase prior to mass production.
Collaborate with Corporate Accounts, Engineering, Sales, Procurement and Manufacturing departments throughout the process. Troubleshoot any related challenges or problems.
• Liaison with overseas vendors for product development from the drawings to product specifications, first off tool samples, and sample review and approval. Negotiate initial cost and setup production and delivery schedules.
• Work with Quality Compliance Department of third party QC companies regarding compliance issues.
• Support and provide technical and design solutions for the Sales and Marketing teams.
• Analyze and deliver opportunities for new design trend, material, and innovation of product development elements such as quality control, production methods, material selection, etc.
• Bachelor's degree in Industrial Design
• 5-7 years of industrial design experience in Personal Care and Cosmetic industry
• 2D Design: Advance level experience using latest version of Adobe CC (Illustrator, InDesign, PhotoShop)
• 2D CAD skills: professional level experience using Ashlar Graphite and Autocad
• 3D CAD skills: professional level experience using SolidWorks and Ashlar Covalt
• Previously worked in creative corporate and consultant environments
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and professional interactive skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from suppliers, customers, management and inter-department staff. Capable of working with others in a
proactive and constructive manner.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills, including the ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple initiatives/deadlines autonomously and shift priorities as necessary. Uses time effectively and able to work independently.
• Customer Service – Respond promptly to requests for service and assistance as needed. Follow up as needed.
• Problem Solving - Program constraints and requirements can be complex and require innovative solutions. Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully. Develop alternative solutions.
• Detail Oriented – High attention to details and accuracy. Ability to identify design opportunities that can impact the business.
• Strong awareness of global design trends and excellent design aesthetic.
• Strong organizational skills (able to set a plan to reach final deliverables).
• Ability to collaborate with, influence and enroll multiple functions to deliver great design solutions.
• Ability to understand the customer’s needs.
• Ability to manage workflows from initial sketch through final placement of styles.
• Ability to initiate and prepare design specification packages to give to Engineering and factories.
• Ability to deliver design concepts and its details both verbal and written.
• Ability to align design solution with strategic business/marketing objectives.
• Demonstrate the ability to successfully manage multiple, complex projects.
• Strong understanding of manufacturing, materials & processes.
• Strong visualization and sketching with both free hand and computer generation.
• Proficient use of MS Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
“PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT”
The physical, mental, and environmental conditions in which the work is performed. The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk and use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
• While this position will primarily work in an office environment, domestic and international travel, including overnight, is required to attend customer meetings, company events, staff meetings, training sessions, and/or industry or vendor trade shows. Must maintain a
valid passport without restrictions for international travel.
• May be required to utilize personal vehicle for business travel that may result in long periods of sitting. Must maintain a valid driver license and provide proof of current automobile insurance coverage as set forth by Sysco.
• This position may require evening and weekend work depending on business needs.
This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification. The duties described are not to be interpreted as being all-inclusive to any specific employee. Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Nothing in this position description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees. This job description supersedes prior job descriptions.